Members please log in and click this link Communicating with Compassion for your full version of this article.
By Jane Verity © Dementia Care International
Compassionate communication is the art of connecting with another person, heart-to-heart. It brings us in touch withour natural empathy, enabling us to overcome labelling language that blocks compassionate interactions.
Compassion is the Key
Success lies in discovering what compassion means, what blocks it, and how to apply it effectively.
Professor Marshall Rosenberg, author of Nonviolent Communication, defines compassion as:
- Our innate desire to enrich another person’s life.
- The joy we experience when our actions nurture another person.
A good way to start is to think of someone with whom we have a natural bond such as a close friend or family member. This will help us get in touch with your compassionate human qualities.
What Blocks Compassionate Responses?
Compassionate responses can be unconsciously blocked through analysing, judging, and labelling, which isolates us from the vulnerability of other people. This approach tends to put us in a position where we act as if we know better. This alienates us from compassionately stepping into the shoes of the other person and discovering out how they feel.
Further reading – Click topic
- Communicating with Compassion – Extended Members article – Open your heart to new possibilities. When the person you are caring for has dementia getting your message through is often a problem. The great news is that by using compassion it is possible to breakthrough any communication barriers!
- My Neighbour is Trying to Kill Me! – Members article – Reveals the deep symbolism behind this once ‘seemingly’ delusional accusation.
- The Bus Stop Band-aid – Public/ Extended Members article– Jane Verity (Discover the emotions & reasons behind the words, ‘I want to go home’; learn positive ways to fulfill unmet needs & proven strategies to remove the necessity for the bus stop & other band-aid solutions. Also, learn why ‘Best’ is the enemy of greatness.)
Understanding Symbolic Language – 7 Step Symbol Solver – A3 poster – Visit our Product Page.