Jane Verity is the Founder of the Spark of Life Philosophy and Jane and Hilary are the co-founders and developers of the internationally awarded, Spark of Life Culture Enrichment Program and the Spark of Life International Master Leadership Program.
Jane Verity OTR, FT
Jane Verity is the Founder, Director & CEO of Dementia Care International; Founder of the Spark of Life Philosophy and the Dementia Foundation for Spark of Life.
Jane is a world leader and pioneer in the social and emotional care of people with dementia. She has the vision and courage to create a world that ignites the human spirit and gives voice to those without a voice. Jane also has the passion to show the beauty and the possibility that lies within each and every person.
Originally from Denmark and now living in Melbourne, Australia, Jane is an Occupational and Family Therapist, and Master Practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). She has earned the highest international accreditation as a professional speaker and is known for her life changing presentations.
Jane has a deep interest in empowering people who are caring for a person with dementia. For families caring for someone at home, she is acutely aware of their circumstances. Caring for her own mother with dementia brought to the approach a unique understanding and intimate knowledge that is only gained through personal experience.
In 1998, Jane studied with Professor Tom Kitwood at Bradford University, UK and became the first person to bring Person Centred Care to Australia and Scandinavia.
In 2009, Jane was invited to present at the Asia Forum on Ageing in Singapore, as the international representative on dementia care to provide advice to the Ministry of Ageing.
Jane has authored two internationally published books and contributed to others.
She is a regular contributor to journals and a keynote presenter at national and international conferences.
Jane has presented Spark of Life to aged care organisations, Alzheimer’s Associations, health professionals and family carers as well as people with dementia in Australia, New Zealand, Spain, UK, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Singapore, and USA, ( including Alaska).
- ABC article featuring Jane Verity >> https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2009/08/18/2659851.htm
- ABC Radio interview with Jane Verity >>
- Watch this Dementia Forum X Video interview with Jane Verity >>
- National Dementia Congress interview with Jane Verity >>
Hilary Lee MSc, OTR
Hilary Lee is Director and President of Dementia Care International and the Dementia Foundation for Spark of Life with a global focus on dementia education, research and innovation, working with leaders who are agents of change in different fields. Hilary has a background in Occupational Therapy and a Master’s Degree in Science from Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia.
Since 2007, Hilary has been an integral part of Dementia Care International, and together with the Founder, co-developed the Spark of Life Culture Enrichment Program and the International Master Course.
Hilary was born in England and has lived in Perth, Australia since 1988. As a social entrepreneur, Hilary has been inspired by her Swiss father who at a leadership level worked with UNESCO to help rebuild people’s lives in many countries after the Second World War.
She has pioneered projects on how to ease the transition to residential care, early identification and prevention of depression and a multidisciplinary approach to palliative care. Hilary has also achieved the advanced level of Dementia Care Mapping (through the University of Bradford, where Person Centred Care was developed).
In addition, Hilary has developed a new assessment tool with Associate Professor Dalia Gottlieb-Tanaka and Professor Peter Graf at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, called the Creative Expressive Abilities Assessment Tool for people with dementia. This tool is now used around the world.
Hilary has unique expertise in the use of creative arts as a means of self-expression and communication in dementia and founded the Australian chapter of the Society for the Arts in Dementia Care. She has provided a forum for sharing of knowledge in this field through state, national and international conferences and symposium since 2006.
In 2011, Hilary co-edited a book called Creative Approaches in Dementia Care by Palgrave MacMillan Publishing, UK.
Hilary is a keynote speaker and since 2003 she has presented at national and international conferences in Australia and around the world, including UK, Canada, USA, Singapore and New Zealand.
The Lions Club International District 201W1 awarded Hilary Lee the Exemplary Service Award in 2018 for ‘hands on commitment, involvement, dedication and care to people suffering with dementia, locally, nationally and internationally.’
- Canning Times article featuring award >> https://www.communitynews.com.au/canning-times/news/cannington-lions-club-presents-award-to-spark-of-life-president-for-work-with-dementia-care-international/
- Listen to this ABC radio interview from 2010 with Hilary Lee & Gillian O’Shaughnessy >>
- Perth Now Article featuring Hilary Lee >> www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/spark-of-life-program-aims-to-rekindle-lost-lives-ng-00620ee80935dbcafd143525d064cc37
- Canberra Times article featuring Hilary Lee >> https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6050162/doll-therapy-halves-use-of-antipsychotics-in-an-act-dementia-care-ward/
- Jenny Brockis interviews Hilary Lee >> https://www.drjennybrockis.com/2012/10/30/the-spark-of-life-a-new-paradigm-in-dementia-care/
- Ros Worthington 6PR interviews Hilary Lee >>
- Click on link to find out about the Creative Expressive Abilities Assessment Tool http://www.dementia-activities.com/product_CEAA_Tool.html
- Click on link to learn about the Society for the Arts in Dementia Care http://cecd-society.org/
- Click on link to read about the Creative Approaches in Dementia Care https://he.palgrave.com/page/detail/?sf1=barcode&st1=9780230231658